Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Simply because in my twisted mind I find this humorous. It may be the insomnia. It may just be my life.

It's late, I am still, for whatever reason, not sleeping, thus a quick blog post because I should be, but alas I am not, naked in bed.

Yesterday, well I guess that isn't accurate, Monday, was the first day of classes at my old job. Later in the day I received two emails and then even later in the day a phone call from one of my former employees begging me to come back to work. I laughed and asked what had happened in the course of the crazy first day of work known as fall semester. Well, I guess the first person they offered my job to, turned it down. Option number two accepted the position, came in and introduced herself on Friday, was sent home with my job duties, ect. and then called in on Monday (first day of classes) and quit. They were up a really big poo creek with no one to take the paddle; because as I pointed out to the former employee on my phone, do you really want to hire option number three because obviously there is a reason they are option number three.

The reason I find this funny: The new person, who ever that may be, will be making more money, only working 20 hours, not forty, has MUCH less responsibility as there are currently two other people doing the other aspects of my job so the new hire, whoever that may be, will only being doing one...ONE aspect of my former job. So. To recap: more money, less hours, more flexibility, less responsibility, and apparently no one wants it.
Yet I didn't want to leave. I didn't want to leave a position where: I made less money, worked forty (or more) hours a week, had no benefits, and there are currently (or will be) three people doing the (jobs) I alone did.
Nice.

I told her tomorrow would be better and the next week would be even better and so on. Soon she would have a boss telling her what to do and all in the world of academia would be fine. I was feeling pretty loved after an hour of calming the former employee off the proverbial ledge.

Now for an update on my new job: Today (Tuesday) was my first day. I did some alphabetizing and I met the gal who has the assistanship within the program, the computers were down so I couldn't do any typing, and I didn't know the password to check voice mail, I worked on some homework. I felt I earned my pay today.
When the afternoon (real worker) came in she asked how it went. I told her it was uneventful, but fine. She told me to enjoy it while I can because it won't last. As she put it so delicately, "Director Lady will be keeping me busy, so enjoy it while I can."
I suddenly felt like a misplaced character in a chick lit book. Th title character who is about to meet her fate, which she has misinterpreted as a plus but was about to be multiplied into a big minus.
I am sure I am wrong, but every once in awhile I like to pretend I am the star in my own TV show. It makes life more interesting that way. Hmmm, I wonder what will happen to my misguided character tomorrow? I foresee papers, the library, cute lost students asking me questions, and feeling as if, at thirty-three years old, that I know nothing. Nothing at all. Sometimes that is refreshing and sometimes not so much.


...Oh, I need sleep.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope you finally go some sleep. I'll bet that tomorrow, uh I mean "tday," will be fine.

Yes, I'll remind you as 9/27 approaches.

Jay Adkins said...

Sounds like you're doing just fine so far. To feel as though you know nothing is a good feeling, for that way lies yet another conquest of the mind.

Conquer all. Take no prisoners, (unless they're cute.) And most importantly: drink and fuck to your hearts' content!

Words to live by. :-)

limpy99 said...

Sounds like the opening to "The Devil Wears Prada" Soon you'll be in Paris, worrying that your a sell-out, and some wise-ass sitting next to his wife trying to get the remote over to ESPN will be saying "Yeah, but you're in Paris dumbass!"

And that will be me.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget your own advice....tomorrow will be better and the day after even better. Righ? Right!
As for sleeping....two drops of lavender extract on your pillow and you'll be out like a light. I assure you.

Party Girl said...

Nick: thanks for the reminder, reminder!

Jay: I like that advice. I like that advice a lot.

I'm not sure if it will be the prisoners or the drinking that I want to indulge in more.

Limpy: "Devil, Prada is actual what I was thinking about when I wrote that
Paris? Yes, please. Or you know anywhere.
Actually a baseball game with a beer and a dog would be up my ally right about now.

GG: You know, that is excellent advice I give and I will take it. I am feeling a bit down and overwhelmed at the moment so my words thrown back at me is exactly what I needed to read.

.........

As for the sleeping, yeah still not happening. About three hours is what I got last night...that is about average at the moment.
I think that might be a teeny bit of my mood of gloom at the moment. I have faith that this to shall pass.

And no, masturbating and beer drinking has not helped. Trust me, I've tried. So with that, I will be trying the lavender.

Party Girl said...

Limpy: I meant a hot dog.
I can just see you making that all twisty word like.

Appletini said...

Ugh! i hate it when I can't sleep, but at least you made good use of the time :)

limpy99 said...

Yes, yes, I've been known to do that once or twice.

Old Man Crowder said...

I don't really have anything intelligent to offer (not that I usually do).

I just wanted to stop in and say hello.

Anonymous said...

You think Matt Pike ain't tryin' to settle with your pa with a dollar? I'm goin' to make him keep his dollar, an' I'm goin' to give him somethin' to go 'long with http://startso11.info/noclegi+klajpeda.html it.. Clearly these desires and needs, http://startso11.info/Wyszukaj+Kody+do+gry+need+for+speed+carbon.html which agitate him, are hindrances to sleep.. Like her mother, she http://rebestal.info/chamaecyparis.html was plainly dressed; unlike her, she had a pale, rather refined face, with a demure mouth and downcast eyes.. Should you think , http://startso11.info/praca+-+pepsi.html she asked me, that a man would climb the Matterhorn the very first year he was married? I don't know, my dear, I answered, evasively; this isn't the first year I have been married, not by a good many, and I wouldn't climb it--for a farm.. A defensive struggle then http://startso11.info/parafie.html ensues, inasmuch as the Forec.. But I can settle the problem of anxiety dreams in very short order; for what they may reveal is not a new aspect of the dream problem; it is a question in their case http://startso11.info/porto+pogoda.html of understanding neurotic anxiety in general.. This, however, is not the breach in the functional efficiency of our psychic apparatus through which the thoughts forming the material of the secondary mental work are enabled to make their way into the primary psychic process--with which formula we http://startso11.info/.czteria.pl.html may now describe the work leading to the dream and to the hysterical symptoms.. There was a touch of this respect in the Judge's voice as he said to him, gently, You may proceed, Colonel Starbottle. http://startso11.info/mistrz+klawiatury.html. The absence of http://storyah44.info/projekty+gara%C5%BCy+metalowych.html any mirth-provoking correspondence, and the appeal solely to his own powers of persuasion, actually struck his fancy.. But, of course, she sternly refused. http://startso11.info/DYSYMILACJA.html. He never smiled, he never frowned, he never changed his voice from the gentle-flowing key to which he tuned his initial sentence, he never betrayed the slightest suspicion of enthusiasm; but all through the interminable narrative there ran a vein of impressive earnestness and sincerity, http://rebestal.info/dawidoff.html which showed me plainly that, so far from his imagining that there was anything ridiculous or funny about his story, he regarded it as a really important matter, and admired its two heroes as men of transcendent genius in finesse.. Never did that prim mouth http://startso11.info/www.havensabove.com.html give way before a laugh.. A thorough investigation of the subject shows that the essential condition of displacement is purely psychological; it is http://startso11.info/gusiaczek007.fotka.pl.html in the nature of a motive.. And how did you know we were in Washington? inquired Miss Lydia. http://startso11.info/Kurnik+.pl.html. Now Elder Brown was not in a jesting http://startso11.info/mokot%C3%B3w+magazyn+wynajem+nieruchomo%C5%9Bci.html humor.. I trust the reader will pardon my fondness for comparisons from daily life, but I feel tempted to say that the relations existing for the repressed idea are similar to the situations existing in Austria for the American dentist, who is forbidden to practise unless he gets http://startso11.info/numer+telefonu+7373.html permission from a regular physician to use his name on the public signboard and thus cover the legal requirements.. Two dollars a head! he defiantly http://startso11.info/felder.html announced.. * * * * * The next http://startso11.info/pdk+ceramika.html morning, it was clear that war was declared against the Bredes.. My dreams were terrifically http://storyah44.info/raport+o+sytuacji+polskich+rodzin.html disturbed by visions of the Angel of the Odd.. Master Homer's exhibition of learning on this http://startso11.info/Martyneczeczka+.+fotka+.+pl.html occasion did not reach us, but we know that it must have been considerable, since he stood the ordeal...

Party Girl said...

Wow. danielthomas, that was...deeply confusing. I feel all dirty and spam-like.

I'm not sure who will conqure the mountain, but I have faith it will either be the Austrian or the American. One of them will surely make it to the peak. I have high hopes for both of them.

OMC: That is not even close to being true. You've said something intelligent at least once. I recall twice, even.

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently discussing about how involved with technology our daily lives have become. Reading this post makes me think back to that debate we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as the price of memory falls, the possibility of uploading our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could see in my lifetime.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.insanejournal.com/397.html]R4i[/url] DS SeKu)