Wednesday, February 04, 2009

inner dork: The history of toilet paper

Because OMC is a demanding little bugger:

I give you, the history of toilet paper:

Did you know…

Before the invention of toilet paper as we know it, people used fur, grass, leaves, their hands. (side note: this is why in some cultures the left hand is considered unclean. I will leave it at that.) (Because they use their left hand…) (In case it wasn’t clear.)

The ancient Greeks used stones and pieces of clay; ancient Romans used sponges on the ends of sticks, kept in jugs filled with salty water. (Cause that seems clean and as if it wouldn’t lead to other diseases or anything.)

Toilet paper as paper dates back at least to the late 14th Century, when Chinese emperors ordered it in 2-foot x 3-foot sheets. (Goodness that’s big.)

Corncobs were next (youch!) and then, of course the Sears cateloug (cause I like to shop while…you know…) (Which, why do people bring reading material into the bathroom? I am never in there for any length of time to warrant this. Which maybe that's the reason I don't understand it...)

Joseph C. Gayetty of New York started producing the first packaged toilet paper in the U.S. in 1857. It consisted of pre-moistened flat sheets medicated with aloe and was named "Gayetty’s Medicated Paper". Gayetty's name was printed on every sheet. (Now that’s advertising.)

Rolled and perforated toilet paper was invented around 1880. It can be attributed to the Albany Perforated Wrapping (A.P.W.) Paper Company in 1877, and to the Scott Paper company in 1879 or 1890. On a side note, the Scott Company was too embarrassed to put their name on their product, as the concept of toilet paper was a sensitive subject at the time, so they customized it for their customers... hence the Waldorf Hotel became a big name in toilet paper. (I had no idea!)

In 1935, Northern Tissue advertised "splinter-free" toilet paper. (Holy smokers! I would have thought that by 1935, this “issue of the tissue” (I just came up with that) would have solved.

In 1942, St. Andrew's Paper Mill in Great Britain introduced two-ply toilet paper (those fancy Brits)

America experienced its first toilet paper shortage in 1973. (Because…..???)

Now, we have double-ply...which I keep forgetting I buy, therefore, I'm really not eliminating any waste (pun was not intended) because I keep using the same amount.


I knew some of this, but not all of this, so thanks: http://www.nobodys-perfect.com/vtpm/ExhibitHall/Informational/tphistory.html
For providing the info I did not know.

OMC, you’ve finally been dorked! How does it feel?

7 comments:

Old Man Crowder said...

How sweet it is!! Thank you SO much!

Stones and hands? Ouch and yuck.

Stick and sponge? You better hope the sponge stayed on the stick...

2X3 sheets? How big were these Chinese butts??

Splinter free TP: could be the greatest breakthrough in shit-ticket technology. Ever.

"Honey? I just took a dump and I think I got a splinter in my crack. Can you get it out for me?"

Now THAT would have to be a dedicated spouse.

Party Girl said...

OMC, glad I could make your day. I acgtually learned some things as well, so there you go; a double dorking!

Maybe that's what the inner dorks should be from now on, people giving me ideas that way I learn something too.

Bob said...

The Great T.P. Shortage of 1973...

Johnny Carson made a joke and Americans stepped in it!

PorkStar said...

Leaves, Fur, their hands.... holy cow.. back then people did not use to shower that often either... on top of that... interesting to know.

Old Man Crowder said...

THIS JUST IN!!

I just read that back in the days of the pilgrims, people used to use corn cobs for posterior cleansing.

And that's what lead to the slang term "corn hole".

Man, I am getting smarter by the minute, hanging around here!

Party Girl said...

OMC: Youch!!!

limpy99 said...

I'm just saying, if I have to choose between wiping with my hand and shoving a rock up there, well, I'm going to need to bathe.