Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Crap-a-doodle-do

Yesterday I received a voice mail from my adviser at Big Ridiculously Expensive Private College. I could tell by the tone of his voice that I would not be happy upon returning his call, which I did immediately.

Boy. Am I psychic.

Turns out I'm one credit short to graduate in May.

Yep.

One credit. (Boy. It was hard for me not say, fuck, in between "one and credit".)

Anyway.

Now, I'm a very pro-active kinda gal. I don't trust or rely on anyone to finish up my loose ends. To quadruple check the stats. To process the paperwork on their own. We're all busy. We bring our daily lives into the work place whether we mean to or not; therefore accidents, mistakes, glitches, cluster fucks, mishaps if you will, they are unavoidable. I get that. I understand. I'm a cool cat. But. I have checked, I have called, I have spoke with and to: my adviser, the department secretary, the registrar, I've look at my degree audit umpteen times they've all said the same thing: credits met, I'm good to get the hell out of Big Ridiculously Expensive Private College.

Then yesterday happened. It's an easy mistake that was made and I can completely see why it happened, but it still doesn't make it right. That computer class from the fall, the one I had no business being in and it took eight weeks to get me out of; yeah it was a 4 credit class. The correct class, the one I'm in now, the last one I was supposed to ever need? Well, do the math, it's a 3 credit class.

My adviser told me I could take a class during the summer. You know. A three credit class for another $1000.

Now. I realize you all don't know what my voice sounds like, but it's a very pleasant nice voice. It has a smooth friendly quality to it. I don't like to raise my voice and I really hate yelling at all and any costs. But, a sure sign that I'm pissed, upset, livid, I wouldn't recommend messing with me, is when that friendly voice lowers into a very calm, paced, and low voice. Yeah. That ain't a good sign. One thing I also try really hard to do is choose my battles. I don't get my panties in a bunch about too many things. But, this was a battle I was going to come out the victor in.

When it was suggested I take a class in the summer I said, "...that's not an option. I cannot put into words the ripple effect and ramifications I have experienced both career, financial, and personally in regards to not graduating in December. I cannot articulate what not graduating in May will do to me in terms of my career, financially, and personally. Not graduating in May is not an option. Now. What are you going to do to fix this?"

Of course there is more to the conversation. Any option I threw out wasn't an option and he threw some out that I wasn't willing to do. I told him about my trip to Greece and how the payment is due this Friday, therefore this needed to be rectified immediately. He got right on the rectification horn.

So, in addition to the computer class that I actually make it to twice a week and drive 80 miles round trip each time to attend. Even though it is my last class, it's a requirement and I have to achieve a certain grade or I won't graduate. Now, I also have to complete an independent study to complete the one credit hour. Basically, it looks like I will be writing a research paper on the history and development of computers and meeting before and after my class with my professor to get this over and done with as soon as possible.

I don't know if all of this sounds like a big deal or not. But, since this is my life, of course there is more to it than that. Of course there is a ripple effect. I have an interview on Friday for a part-time night gig, and I've also found a short gig doing transcription for a PhD candidate....not to mention all the other ways and things I am doing to try and keep the lights on and something in my stomach...but that's a post for another day. This is simply a glitch that needs to be incorporated into all of the other schtuff now.....once again. But something tells me this too shall pass, it's water under the bridge, I'll be a stronger and better person for and because of it, life is a roller coaster, and all those other pearls of wisdom. I know. But damn. I could really use a break right about now. Crap-a-doodle-do.

8 comments:

Bre said...

Oh honey that's rotten!

I know it's hard and very frustrating to look on the bright side of things, but at least there is a bright side to look on!

puerileuwaite said...

That sucks. If I were in a position to do anything, I'd give you a Credit Hour just to get "freaky" with me.

;-)

ptg said...

Big, overpriced, ridiculously expensive college better realize this is the LAST time they're going to see your hard earned dollars, because dammit, you're going to Greece. :o)

Perry H. said...

Ah, Greece. Where they separate the men from the boys with crowbars. If my boss knew I spent most of this night shift reading youe archives (and damn you are hot!) he'd have no choice but to promote me. At least, in a perfect world.....

Party Girl said...

Bre: Yes, yes it is. But, you're right. There is a sunny side and I am getting on it.

P: Done. Done. and super done. Now. Where's my diploma?

ptg: Jesus fuck, but I hope you're right about that. I am still waiting on the last of my fundage to arrive (today, I hope!) and it will be paid for. It's already booked.

tx: Well, yeah. I can't even the begin to imagine the knowledge you must have gained last night....just on the inner dorks alone!
Thanks for stopping by I hope to see you often. I liked your webpage, also. I just couldn't comment on the posts I read because I'm not a member.

limpy99 said...

Don't they have a one-credit class like "the history of rock 'n roll" like the basketball players take at Ohioh State?

And no, I'm not making that up.

Party Girl said...

Limpy: Actually Private College doesn't have any one credit classes.

..and actually, I took "History of Rock and Roll" over the summer as a three credit class. And no, I'm not making that up. Do I even need to say that I received a 4.0 in that class?

Chris said...

I had the same thing happen, and I got one of my profs to do a one credit seminar for just me on a subject I was interested in. That worked out pretty good. You might ask your favorite prof to do the same for you.