Thursday, July 20, 2006

inner dork: vinegar

Did you know...and well, if you did where were you five years ago when I was working in a kitchen and no one could answer me when I asked, what is vinegar? Everyone looked at me like I was an idiot, but no one could give me an answer.

So that you don't look like an idiot, I give you: What is vinegar?

The word derives from the French, vin aigre, which means "sour wine."

Vinegars are made from a weak alcohol that is produced from fruit, cereals, rice, molasses, sugar, or honey. The most common are made from wine, cider, and white vinegar.

Vinegar has been around since ancient times, as early as 3000 B.C.
The Spartans were famous for existing largely on a vile "black broth" consisting of pork stock, vinegar, and salt.

Vinegar was mostly used for pickleing, however sometimes it was used for medicinal purposes. Vinegar was mixed with pepper and honey to treat feminine disorders. (What kinds of disorders, I don't know.) (Ew, stinky.) Vinegar mixed with pepper was also used to revive suffocation victims.

7 comments:

TrappedInColorado said...

Vineger also is used to cure procrasination.. people keep putting off taking it though.

puerileuwaite said...

I like vinegar on my salads and my women.

THE DUKE said...

For once I new your inner dork!! And I don't even work in a kitchen - besides my own.

I use vinegar in cooking often, and have 6 or 7 different types in the cupboard - I'm facinated with how each one is very different from the other.

justacoolcat said...

I knew this, any good wine drinker should.

Party Girl said...

Trapped: Cleva'

P: Tangy. Zippy. Puckerlicious.

Duke: Yayy!!!!

I am guessing you are quite the cook.

Cool: Excellent point you have there.

puerileuwaite said...

GG, not YOU TOO now? Why!?

Actually, I never realized vinegar had so many practical uses. I gonna buy a bottle tonight INSTEAD of my usual liquor purchase, and see how many new uses I can come up with!

Party Girl said...

GG: So helpful.

P: She's come over to the dork side.

Oh! I kill me!