Friday, June 09, 2006

first albums

Huey Lewis and the News, "Sports," that was the first album I ever bought with my own money.

It was the summer of 1984 when MTV was actually about music. When they were revolutionizing the music industry and music videos. When Madonna was a dirty virgin, Michael Jackson was thrilling, I had sweet dreams about the Eurythmics, I wanted to be Tina Turner's private dancer, Billy Idol and I would have a white wedding, and I wanted to have the smuggler's blues with Glenn Fry.

I was shopping with my mother, I had saved up my allowance and I was going to buy my first album. It was going to be Huey Lewis and the News, without question, no hesitation. I loved them. I wanted a new drug while I rocked out to the heart of rock and roll because this was it.

I wore that thing out. Wore it out. Album cover destroyed. Songs skipped beats, words, and rhythm- worn out. I knew every lyric. I knew everything there was to know about the members of the band. I waited patiently in front of the TV eagerly awaiting their new video.
Go outside and play? Sit in my room and read a book? No way! I spent the summer of 1984 in front of my parent's bedroom TV, sitting on the butt-breaking hardwood floor, my back resting against the end of the bed, my only source of comfort coming from the new video Nina Blackwood, Martha Quinn, JJ Jackson, Alan Hunter, and Mark Goodman teased and taunted me with.

The interviews with the latest new artist, the clothes, the accessories, the hairstyles; all of this ruled my world during the summer of 1984. Madonna, Billy Idol, Bryan Adams, The Police, Michael Jackson, Huey Lewis, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, The Pet Shops Boys, Eurythmics, Tina Turner, and Culture Club; they were my 1984.

Then the hair bands took over.
Huey Lewis lost their relevance and it was now all about Stephen Percy from Ratt.

My first album was thrown out. It was all used up anyway, right?

Then I found my way into a local record shop. What should I happen across? Yes, "Sports."
I burned it onto a CD placed it in my stereo, turned up the volume and I went back to 1984. I was suddenly back in my bedroom as a 10-year-old little girl who knew everything about the band. I knew every lyric, beat, and pause. Only now the 10-year-old girl was 30 and dancing in her living room. The song was still perfectly choreographed and I was still a rock star.


...and you?

10 comments:

TrappedInColorado said...

As far as I'm concerned, Billy Idol was the only decent music to come out of the 80s. Huey and the News were pretty cool though. I have a tape of me singing "I need a new drug". Pretty awful but fun. Shit! You were 10 in '84 and watching MTV!? THAT explains alot! :) Viva the corruption of MTV! Your flashback and slice of life posts are very good. You might want to submit this to MTV.. do they have a magazine?

Old Man Crowder said...

Corey Hart's Boy in the Box was my first. Then I fell into the "mixed tape" crowd.

ePixie29 said...

PartyGirl, you sure are good at making me remember stuff! In the early 80s was the time when MTV really WAS good and about music, I loved it and though that was why cable TV was invented, just for MTV.

I want my, I want my, I want my MTV.

But not anymore.

Unknown said...

The first album I ever bought with my own money was Deep Purple's Machine Head. The first 45 I bought with my own money was Three Dog Night's One.

mfophotos said...

I always liked Huey Lewis... my first record with my own $ was a Monkees 45. I have no idea which songs were on it -- that was too long ago.

Nice posts, too.

THE DUKE said...

I honestly can't remember which tape I purchased first, Huey Lewis,Van Halen or Def Leppard. I do know that they were all my obsessions for 1984. That summer, Huey had a concert in my hometown, but my mom wouldn't let me go. I though she was the devil that summer. Of course, I know for a fact that she KNEW I was the devil that summer. My poor mom.

-Tommy said...

The first with someone else's money was Kiss: Double Platinum, the first with my own money was...um, I can't remember, Van Halen: Fair Warning. That one made a man outta me. The second was Rush: Moving Pictures. The first album I found in an old attic was Led Zeppelin I. That changed everything.

-Tommy said...

Oh, I thought it was a nipple, too. :)

egan said...

I think my first album was The Steve Miller Band. I had to own it because of that Abracadbra song.

Party Girl said...

Trapped: You know, I never thought of it that way, but you're probably right. MTV may have influenced me a little too much. Or another way to look at it, made me the woman I am today.

OMC: ah, mixed tapes. The most romantic of romantic gestures. A mixed CD, as I just had one made for me a few weeks ago just isn't the same.

epixie: I refer to MTV as miscellaneous TV. Where'd the music go?

JJ: Very nice. Classics on both purchases.

Mark: Daydream Believer, maybe?

Duke: All great albums and concert choices!!!
My devil stage started late, it wasn't until I was 17-18. Yeah, poor, mom!

Tom: The life changing music. Huey was certainly one for me. Madonna, was another. The Doors, when I was around 16. I'm sure there are many more, but those are the ones that come to mind. Oh, the whole grunge music, that was huge also.

Egan: The great music purchases for that ONE great song.


I will say this, I really wish I would have held onto all of my various tapes and CD's and albums from my pre-teen and teen years. I didn't want to seem uncool so I got rid of a ton of them, okay, most of them. I really, really regret it now. Sometimes I just want to go back in time. Or I have a song that I can't remember and I want to break out the tapes.
Now? I hang onto all my good, bad, and ugly music choices.