Thursday, June 22, 2006

inner dork: What's an ox?

Quick, what's an ox?

Bet you're wrong.

Did you know.....

An ox is a steer.

However, a steer is a castrated bull.
A steer is typically slaughtered by the time he is sixteen months old.

An ox started out as a steer which started out as a bull.

An ox is then trained to work. After four years of work he is officially considered an ox. After four years he is usually put out to pastural labor for about fifteen or sixteen years.

....So, did you know?

6 comments:

TrappedInColorado said...

Wow.. a regular cornacoppia of trivia! Did you know that after pulling wagons across prairies and mountains for months the ox were then thanked by being slaughtered for food? Much like my dating life. I am used for dinners and theater and movies then cut loose to return to the land of the lounge lizards. You wouldn't do that to me would you? I mean if my checkbook ran dry you wouldn't cut me loose would you? crickets crickets Hello? PG? Would you? Bueller. Bueller.

Joe said...

You've got me there. I did not know that.

puerileuwaite said...

Glad you oxed. No I didn't know. Thanks for sharing it. This type of knowledge is sure to get me "dirt road cred" here in the sticks.

Now I wanna go "ox tipping", PG.

Party Girl said...

My brain is an odd and wonderous place....

ePixie29 said...

PG - the odd and wonderous place that is your mind holds a closet English professor with unlimited access to the OED, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

I went with male cow...LOL. I guess in a warped way I did know. But thanks for clarifying.